martes, 1 de abril de 2014

R and R

After a tough few days, preceded by a tough few weeks, I decided to take a romantic getaway . . .for one.  I packed up and left for 4 days to a lodge nestled in the mountains above Antigua.  For these three nights, I did nothing but sleep in hammocks, read books, draw, do yoga, and eat delicious food.  I've never been one to indulge myself.  My mind is too busy buzzing with my to-do lists, and my pockets feel the burn of spending money.  But, for possibly the first time ever, I spent 4 days of doing absolutely nothing else, but spending time and money indulging my peace of heart. And it was BIEN worth it.

A few months before trekking down here, I went to a panel discussion on "Art Inspiration."  One panelist, when asked where she finds her inspiration, said, "I can't afford to be choosy when it comes to inspiration.  Everything is game to inspire me, anything from a beautiful person to an aluminum can on the side of the road."  I love that idea, and choose to apply this to life at large.  When I remember to open my eyes, I am often surprised by the amount of inspiration surrounding me.

When I was at the lodge, I got to share a little slice of life with Maurine and her beautiful daughters.  I found a kindred spirit in Maurine, and over dinner we shared laughs, frustrations and tears.  She has taken her daughters on adventures around the world, and the confidence I saw in those girls inspired me.  On our last night together, we went sauna-ing.  As we were about to head in, Maurine asked "You don't care if we go in naked do you?" I didn't.  But I also have never been a person who can easily shed my clothes. I've always hate that women are taught to be ashamed of their bodies, but have spent too many of my years hating my own. As we all sat desnudo in the sauna, I was in awe of a high school girl sitting so easily in her skin. As we left the sauna, I found my favorite constellations and danced under the stars in a field all to myself.  It filled my soul with peace and calm - a super freeing momento, that has kept a smile on my face for days. It was an honor to be in the presence of such beautiful, empowered girls, and it made me excited to return back to my community of inspiring women.  


See that little tuft of smoke?  The volcano has a tiny eruption every half hour.  It was cool to feel hear the tiny rumblings. 

 Yoga time
 I always find the women carrying things on their heads to be so beautiful. 

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario