domingo, 15 de junio de 2014

Imagine a World Without Education

In gearing up for our teacher training next week, I have partnered with a program coordinator in Antigua (a town an hour away) for guidance and support.  A few weeks ago when I was planning with Hyelim, I told her about this awesome 6th grader at our school who won a speech competition in the city for the theme of "Education and Society."  I was planning to have her kick off my teacher training, when Hyelim asked if she would like to come speak to her whole school.

So - on Friday, I got to take Mishell, her dad and grandmother, and our school director to Proyecto Esperanza outside of Antigua.  This was Mishell's first trip outside the city, and the whole day gave me piel de gallina (goosebumps).  I was blown away by her courage to speak in front of the whole school, and she inspired the pants off all the kids and teachers.  Listening to her passion and consciousness gives me hope about this community and the world.  After her speech, the 6th graders invited her to come to their class to talk to her about our school, her speech, and "What do you do for your free time and do you like having to wear a uniform?" kind of kid stuff.  She was nervous and giggly and amazed that so many people were interested in her.  

Proyecto Esperanza is also lucky enough to be connected to a Finca - a beautiful area of land below the volcanoes, full of horses and greenery.  Mishell had never seen horses before, and she was mesmorized.  As we visited the horses, listened to stories from her grandmother about growing up in the country, drove past new buildings and fountains and people. . . I watched Mishell's big eyes soaking in every ounce of the day with curiosity and amazement.  This is why I love my job.  

Here is Mishell's speech.  It's in Spanish.  If you don't understand it, trust me!  It's amazing.  My favorite line is "Imagine a world without education, a society without a history, a book without words." Watch out world.  This tiny little, courageous 12 year old could be president one day. (also, ignore the fact that I'm the worst with technology). 





  

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario